Substation Design Engineer
Ameren is a leader in the energy industry, and our transformation toward more clean, renewable energy is also transforming other industries and infrastructure in our communities. As a regional company serving local customers, we not only serve our a part of them. This isn't just a job. At Ameren, we invest in you, so you can power the quality of life you want.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion is one of the core values that guides us in everything we do. We are committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce that brings diverse perspectives to every area of our business.
Our benefits include:
- Medical coverage on date of hire
- 100% employer paid cash balance pension plan
- 401(k) with company match fully vested on date of hire
- Minimum of 15 days paid vacation and 12 paid holidays
- Paid parental leave and family caregiver leave
About Ameren Illinois
Ameren Illinois provides electric transmission and distribution service and natural gas distribution service. Every day, we deliver electricity to 1.2 million electric and 816,000 natural gas customers in central and southern Illinois. We deliver safe, reliable energy to more than 1,200 communities.
About The Position
The Engineer is responsible for engineering design, project management, and technical support for projects relating to new and existing Bulk, Distribution, and Customer Substations (typically involving voltages up to 138kV).
Key responsibilities include:
- Establish basic design parameters, writing and evaluating material and construction specifications, direct drawing preparation, and perform cost/benefit analyses.
- Project management activities including responsibility for overall project cost and scheduling; coordinating activities related to real estate, purchasing, drafting, construction, operating, and related engineering groups associated with projects. The position requires simultaneously handling multiple projects with varying completion dates.
- Technical support activities include providing consulting services to other groups in matters relating to Bulk, Distribution, and Customer Substations.
- With an increased interest in green energy and renewables, engineers will be working with solar and other DER customers on projects that will integrate these new clean energy sources into Ameren's existing grid.
Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering from an accredited college or university required. Completion of Power Option classes as part of college coursework preferred. Electrical background (e.g., college coursework or work experience) is preferred. Professional Engineer (P.E.) License or active commitment to obtain one is preferred. Prefer applicants with Engineer-In-Training (EIT) certification. Substation or related equipment design, option or maintenance experience preferred.
In addition to the above qualifications, the successful candidate will demonstrate:
Proficiency in use of computers; good analytical, communication and human relations skills; capacity to work on major project teams; ability to handle and prioritize multiple assignments/projects; and the following Ameren competencies: Think Customer, Inspire and Engage, Foster Innovation, Drive Results, Champion Learning, Build Trust, and Be Strategic.
Substation Design Engineers have the ability to take advantage of Ameren's flexible work schedule. This position also allows employees to work from home as part of a hybrid remote work policy.
Ameren’s selection process includes a series of interviews and may include a leadership assessment process. Specific details will be provided to qualified candidates.
*Salary depends upon individual credentials, experience, and position market pay level. Incumbents currently in the existing or similar career path will be considered only as lateral transfers.
- Additional Job Description
If end date is listed, the posting will come down at 12:00 am on that date:
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, genetic information, military service or status, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other class, trait, or status protected by law.