Manager Product Value Stream
Your Work Shapes the World at Caterpillar Inc.
When you join Caterpillar, you're joining a global team who cares not just about the work we do – but also about each other. We are the makers, problem solvers, and future world builders who are creating stronger, more sustainable communities. We don't just talk about progress and innovation here – we make it happen, with our customers, where we work and live. Together, we are building a better world, so we can all enjoy living in it.
At Caterpillar’s Decatur, IL facility, we manufacture and assemble Large Mining and Construction Equipment. In this role as a Manager Product Value Stream, you will report to the Vice President Product Management, and will be responsible for the machine life cycle value chain for the Wheel Tractor Scrapers product within the Load and Haul organization. As a member of the Resource Industries (RI) Operations and Products team, you will need to have a growth mindset, promote continuous improvement, and help build a defect-free culture. We have a fabulous team that does some of the most exciting work at Caterpillar, and we can’t wait for you to join the team!
What you will do:
Manage machine life cycle value chain and understand, design, and develop engineering value chain. This includes addressing product quality, which includes stop ship, Platform assembly processes (CPS for assembly), Machine space claim (dimensions/weight), Super bill-of-material, Manage and deliver the product strategy (Product, PS, Value Chain), Options management and DTO options.
Support assembly factories, interfacing with Systems & Components Value Chain teams.
Deliver the functional requirements from the process partners, this could include Cost control, Machine competitiveness/competitive intelligence, Machine performance and Machine reliability and durability.
Tie all activities into a continuous flow, the entire value chain, remove the silos. The incumbents should drive interconnectedness and integration of each step in the chain and process from supply to decommissioning.
Employee is also responsible for performing other job duties as assigned by Caterpillar management from time to time.
The position manages a department through supervisors/managers and professionals. The incumbent provides direction, focus, motivation, and encouragement for subordinates. The position is responsible for all personnel issues and performance evaluation of subordinates.
Typical process partners are various contacts throughout Caterpillar worldwide and its subsidiaries. External contacts include various customers and vendors throughout worldwide markets. The position is challenged to carefully evaluate problems and review a large number of possible solutions before selecting one option. Problems may be complex and can require the incumbent to develop solutions. The position monitors adherence to quality standards and develops action plans for addressing below standard performance at suppliers. The position faces complex issues, which may differ from those typically faced within the industry or profession. The incumbent establishes and then monitors general policies and guidelines for projects under his/her control to ensure specific, management goals are met, and desired results are achieved. Impacts key quality goals including Customer Satisfaction, Continuous Improvement, Timeliness, Accuracy, Efficiency, Cost Savings, Process Quality, Part Quality, Internal Quality Certification, Dealer Repair Frequency, etc.
What Skills you will have:
Quality Orientation: Knowledge of quality management methods, tools, and techniques; ability to create and support an environment that meets the quality goals of the organization.
Level Working Knowledge:
• Confronts root causes of problems wherever they exist.
• Eliminates unnecessary work and all non-value-added activities.
• Uses objective quality criteria and data to drive decisions.
• Documents learnings regarding quality outcomes so that the data can be used for improvement.
• Surfaces quality problems whose root causes fall outside the group's responsibility.
Collaborating Globally: Knowledge of effective collaboration techniques and ability to build networks with people from different countries and cultures, think and work with them to bring positive impact and flourishing business results.
Level Extensive Experience:
• Evaluates different viewpoints and reconciles conflicting interests to achieve a collective understanding and a group mission.
• Provides optimum solutions for complex problems by using collective intelligence of colleagues' networks.
• Trains others on the new technologies or techniques used to facilitate group interactions and improve collaboration.
• Uses internal and external network of leaderships or experts to help achieve organizational and client goals.
• Facilitates group's thinking and brainstorming activities to collectively create and share ideas.
• Oversees a team collaboration to produce positive business results.
Value Engineering: Knowledge of tools and techniques for conducting value engineering; ability to use this knowledge to improve the value of a project at the lowest cost.
Level Working Knowledge:
• Assesses business needs and requirements to determine potential value improvement processes.
• Assists in evaluating value alternatives that provide the greatest value advantage to accomplish the required tasks.
• Conducts functional analysis to determine the importance and value of project functions.
• Documents the outcomes of different stages of the value analysis process.
• Uses Functional Analysis System Technique (FAST) diagrams and related techniques to determine the correlations between functions and the associated impact on costs.
Product Design - MFG: Knowledge of processes, approaches, tools and techniques of product design; ability to convert customer and market requirements into product design.
Level Working Knowledge:
• Participates in the conception process of a manufacturing product vision.
• Collects and analyzes customer and market requirements, and generates reports.
• Utilizes design methods to implement the construction of a new design model.
• Uses automated tools to design or modify the design of a product.
• Assists in the testing and refinement of a new product design.
Product Development Life Cycle - MFG: Knowledge of the methodology and associated phases, activities and deliverables of product development life cycle in manufacturing organizations; ability to bring new or enhanced products to the marketplace.
Level Working Knowledge:
• Documents and generates reports on major phases, activities, checkpoints and deliverables.
• Participates in a specific phase or aspect of product development.
• Analyzes common issues and considerations for bringing a new product to marketplace.
• Works with developing features, functions, plans and schedules.
• Interprets product development plans and functional documentation.
Education and experience requirements:
Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Manufacturing, or related program
In lieu of degree – 20+ years’ experience in Value Chain or Product Engineering roles
15+ years of progressively responsible job-related experience including product design
Experience leading a global team.
Product Support and After Market Experience in areas such as lifecycle management, services
Extensive experience in the Value Chain (Procurement & Manufacturing,).
Exposure to and knowledge of key suppliers, internal and external, to understand business, capabilities, and critical success factors to sustainable partnerships.
Manufacturing experience in areas such as factory operations, manufacturing engineering, LEAN, supply chain, quality.
Field experience with customers and dealers.
Robust problem-solving experience (LEAN, CPI, quality).
Exposure to P&L from budgeting, R&D, product cost, warranty, Revenue Recognition perspectives.
Top Candidates will also have:
Complete understanding of company policies and procedures related to manufacturing, engineering and/or maintenance.
Excellent interpersonal skills to manage through sensitive issues, develop others, or persuade others inside and outside the department to take specific actions.
Excellent communication and teamwork skills and the ability to develop and motivate staff around the world.
Excellent leadership skills to drive substantial product and cultural changes.
The location for this position is Decatur, IL
Domestic relocation assistance is available
This position may require 25% travel
Sponsorship is not available
This posting will close at midnight on February 25, 2024
What you will get:
Our goal at Caterpillar is for you to have a rewarding career. Our teams are critical to the success of our customers who build a better world.
Here you earn more than just wage, because we value your performance, we offer a total rewards package that provides:
Competitive Base Salary
Annual incentive bonus plan*
Medical, dental, and vision coverage
Paid time off plan (Vacation, Holiday, Volunteer, Etc.)
401k savings plan
Health savings account (HSA)
Flexible spending accounts (FSAs)
Short and long-term disability coverage
Paid parental leave
Healthy Lifestyle Programs
Employee Assistance Programs
Voluntary Benefits (Ex. Accident, Identity Theft Protection)
*Subject to annual eligibility and incentive plan guidelines.
Please frequently check the email associated with your application, including the junk/spam folder, as this is the primary correspondence method. If you wish to know the status of your application – please use the candidate log-in on our career website as it will reflect any updates to your status.
For more information, visit caterpillar.com. To connect with us on social media, visit caterpillar.com/social-media
#LIVisa Sponsorship is not available for this position. This employer is not currently hiring foreign national applicants that require or will require sponsorship tied to a specific employer, such as, H, L, TN, F, J, E, O. As a global company, Caterpillar offers many job opportunities outside of the U.S which can be found through our employment website at www.caterpillar.com/careers.
Posting Dates:February 12, 2024 - February 25, 2024
Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a drug screen.
EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals - Including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities - are encouraged to apply.
Not ready to apply? Join our Talent Community.