Water Plant Operator III
City of Decatur, IL
Salary will increase to $28.21 hourly after successfully completing 6 month probationary period.
The Civil Service Commission of the City of Decatur will conduct an examination and establish an eligible register for the above classification. There is currently one position available in the Public Works Department, Water Production Division. This position is at the South Water Treatment Plant which operates around the clock, 365 days a year. Candidates MUST BE AVAILABLE TO WORK SECOND OR THIRD SHIFT AS WELL AS WEEKENDS AND HOLIDAYS. Persons passing all phases of the selection process will be placed on a Civil Service eligible register which will be used for a period of two years or until exhausted. Selection of candidates will be made according to the Civil Service law for cities as modified by the City Code of the City of Decatur, Illinois.
NECESSARY SPECIAL QUALIFICATIONS
Candidates must be able to obtain a valid Class "A" Public Water Supply Operator Certificate within two (2) years of hire and must maintain respirator certification. Candidates must also possess a class D Illinois driver's license.
NATURE OF WORK
This is skilled work in water treatment testing and water treatment plant operation on an assigned shift. Work involves responsibility for operational control of water treatment and pumping processes, and water testing on an assigned shift. Duties include being the lead person in the direction of subordinate operator(s)' work; controlling proper water treatment and pumping rates; and performing standard chemical testing of water. Incidental maintenance is performed in the cleaning of premises and equipment. Work is performed under the supervision of the Chief Water Plant Operator and the Water Production Operations Supervisor, and is reviewed through plant and operational inspections, discussions on operating problems, records maintained and through the observation of results obtained.
The City of Decatur is a drug-free workplace. This includes marijuana. Candidates will be subject to a pre-employment drug screen, physical and background check post offer.
EXAMPLES OF WORK (typical work examples, but not limited to the following):
- Makes periodic rounds of plant, checking charts and meters; instructs subordinate operators on, or makes adjustments to, equipment after interpreting readings from meters and other measuring devices.
- Regulates electric motors and pumps to adjust proper water flow and pumpage.
- Performs testing of water samples; makes standard chemical tests to ascertain hardness, magnesium content, turbidity, chlorine and residual chlorine content; records test results; adds lime, aluminum sulfate, carbon, chlorine and other chemicals as may be indicated by tests and according to operating practice.
- Records amounts and types of chemicals added to water; tests for alkalinity, nitrate, chlorine dioxide and other parameters of finished water; tests samples for bacterial count.
- Washes filters, checks on and records filter pumpage rates; makes adjustments as required; records losses and filtering rates of filters.
- Maintains operational records on equipment operation; inspects water treatment equipment and machines for proper operation and regulates feeding; fills machines with chemicals; changes chlorine tanks; checks equipment for correct oil and lubrication levels; adds lubricants.
- Performs related work and other duties as assigned.
Knowledge & Skills
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS
- Knowledge of water treatment plant operations and processes involving pumping, filtering and treatment.
- Knowledge of standard water treatment tests and test procedures.
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions necessary in the operation of water treatment plant equipment.
- Knowledge of general computer skills, spreadsheets (e.g., Excel).
- Ability to read gauges and meters correctly and to act quickly and independently in operational emergencies.
- Ability to instruct subordinates in water testing and plant operations.
- Ability to follow general oral and written instructions.
- Ability to prepare and maintain standard operating records.
- Ability to use standard mechanical work tools in making emergency plant repairs and adjustments to operating motorized and feeder equipment.
Graduation from high school, supplemented by the successful completion of water plant operator short courses; two years experience as a Water Plant Operator I; or any equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Written Examination. All applicants must take a written examination. The passing criteria for the written examination is 70.00%.
- Oral Interview. All applicants passing the written test must pass an oral interview with a score of at least 70.00%.
- Veteran Points. Applicants who pass the written test and oral interview may be eligible to receive 5.00 veteran preference points added to their final examination score.
- Seniority Points. Applicable persons who receive a score of 70.00% or more will receive 0.50 seniority preference points for each full year of continuous service to a maximum of 10.0 points added to their final examination score.
- Physical Examination. Applicants placed on the eligible register must pass a physical examination which includes a drug screen by a physician of the Commission's choice immediately prior to appointment.
Persons appointed to the position of Water Plant Operator III will serve a probationary period of six months.
The Water Plant Operator III position is covered under the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME) collective bargaining agreement. AFSCME employees appointed in the classified services shall reside within the corporate limits of Macon County, or within the corporate limits of any municipality extending into Macon County. Upon original appointment, an appointee may reside outside said limits but shall be required as a condition of continued employment to comply with said residency requirement no later than ninety (90) days after the completion of said appointee's probationary period.
Complete an application at the link below with all requested relevant information. Incomplete applications will be rejected. Downloading your resume prefills some sections of the application.