Antimicrobial Stewardship Clinical Pharmacist
The Antimicrobial Stewardship Clinical Pharmacist provides comprehensive pharmacy services to their assigned clinical specialty area (Infectious Disease), collaborates with department leadership to improve clinical pharmacy services to the hospital, and serves as the hospital’s antimicrobial stewardship pharmacist. Promotes the use of safe, appropriate, and cost-effective medication therapies to achieve desirable patient outcomes.
- Works collaboratively with physicians, residents, and hospital staff to promote and improve safe, appropriate, and cost-effective medication use, particularly for antimicrobial and infectious disease therapies
- Fulfills clinical staffing responsibilities (order verification, provision of pharmacy consult services, rounding, etc.), as required.
- Serves as the hospital’s antimicrobial stewardship pharmacist, representing the pharmacy department on hospital and health system antimicrobial stewardship committees.
- Collaborates with department leadership and hospital multidisciplinary team members to execute the functions of the hospital’s Antimicrobial Stewardship Committee.
- Maintains qualifications to serve as a preceptor for pharmacy residents and offers rotations in infectious disease pharmacy and/or antimicrobial stewardship.
- Serves as a preceptor for pharmacy students
- Serves as a liaison between the pharmacy department and assigned clinical specialty areas, including representing pharmacy on hospital and health system multidisciplinary committees in assigned clinical areas.
- Assists the Manager, Clinical Pharmacy Operations, in the design, implementation, and monitoring of clinical pharmacy services; including review of medication use order sets and various departmental and hospital policies with respect to medication use.
- In collaboration with the Manger, Clinical Pharmacy Operations oversees the initial and ongoing training, competency, and monitoring of pharmacist provided pharmacokinetic and infectious disease consult services (i.e., vancomycin and aminoglycoside dosing), including use of programs such as DoseMeRx and TheraDoc.
- Assists department leadership in the management of drug shortages, particularly changes to clinical and operational practice
- Assists department leadership in the management of various pharmaceutical billing issues (i.e., waste billing, and billing error queue/report management)
- Presents to the Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee as needed, including antimicrobial stewardship committee activities and formulary review of antimicrobial and infectious disease therapies.
- Serves as a resource for and provides training for lesser-experienced colleagues as needed.
- Serves as a back-up for other areas within the unit or department, especially during times of special needs or colleague absences. Maintains a working knowledge of pharmacy operations, to assist with staffing as needed.
- Perform other related work as required or requested.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. Incumbents may be requested to perform tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
- Graduate of an ACPE accredited school of pharmacy; PharmD required.
Current license to practice pharmacy in the State of Illinois required
- BPS certification in pharmacotherapy (BCPS) preferred
- BPS certification in Infectious Disease Pharmacy (BCIDP) highly preferred
- Minimum 3 years of hospital pharmacy experience required.
- Completion of an ASHP accredited pharmacy residency program preferred
- Completion of an ASHP accredited PGY-2 Infectious Disease residency highly preferred
- Previous experience in antimicrobial stewardship activities highly preferred
- Demonstrate excellent communication and organizational skills
- Demonstrate commitment to continuous competency in all aspects of medication therapy for hospitalized patients
- Demonstrate strong leadership skills, especially in clinical pharmacy practice
- Leads by example