Advanced Practice Provider (APP), DMH-Hospitalist
Provides comprehensive health care to patients in collaboration with physicians and other medical staff including medical evaluation, counseling and referrals.
Essential Functions and Job Duties
- Communicates with medical information to clients.
- Teaches wellness habits and educates patients on prevention of potential health problems.
- Develops educational programs with age-specific teaching tools for practice patients.
- Works closely with the Physician with client issues.
- Provides information and materials relating to patient health care needs.
- Review lab results and performs other medical monitoring, adhering to medical policies and procedures.
- Makes appropriate referrals to physicians.
- Coordinates patient care and family counseling with public and agencies.
- Collaborates and communicates with other nurses, physicians and outside agencies as appropriate.
- Performs medical case management, following established departmental policies and procedures.
- Performs routine exams and obtains patient histories.
- Manages patient treatment program based on assessment of needs.
- Initiates treatments via prescriptions, tests, exams, and procedures.
- Performs routine health maintenance activities for established patients.
- Evaluates and treats work related injuries.
- Documents all care and completed all other required paperwork.
- Writes progress notes on patients’ charts indicating patient status and treatment or procedures performed.
- Develops, writes and /or updates Nurse Practitioner practice protocol annually, with physicians review.
- Assists the physician in monitoring the quality of medical services provided within the department.
- Performs administrative duties such as writing admission orders, working with staff regarding patient problems scheduling, records and other related duties.
- Maintains and uses knowledge of current medical practice and skills.
- Enhances professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, current literature, in-service meetings and workshops.
- Attends meetings as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Current CPR card.
- Strong computer skills for documentation purposes in the electronic medical record.
- Knowledge of the information and techniques needed to diagnose and treat human injuries, diseases, and deformities. This includes symptoms, treatment alternatives, drug properties and interactions, and preventive health-care measures.
- Knowledge of arithmetic and algebra.
- Knowledge of principles, methods, and procedures for diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of physical and mental dysfunctions, and for career counseling and guidance.
- Ability to work under stress and unpredictable situations in handling injury situations.
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing.
- Ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
- Ability to speak clearly so others can understand you.
General Skill Requirements
In addition to the Essential Functions and Qualifications listed above, to perform the job successfully an individual must also possess the following General Skill Requirements.
- Adaptability – Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Accepts criticism and feedback; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; ability to work with frustrating situations; work under pressure and on an irregular schedule such as unscheduled overtime, unanticipated changes in work pace; Works with numerous distractions.
- Attendance and Punctuality – Schedules time off in advance; Begins working on time; Keeps absences within guidelines; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
- Communications – Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; Expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; Exhibits good listening and comprehension; Keeps others adequately informed; Selects and uses appropriate communication methods.
- Cooperation – Establishes and maintains effective relations; Exhibits tact and consideration; Displays positive outlook and pleasant manner; Offers assistance and support to co-workers; Works cooperatively in group situations; Works actively to resolve conflicts.
- Job Knowledge – Competent in required job skills and knowledge; Exhibits ability to learn and apply new skills; Keeps abreast of current developments; Requires minimal supervision; Displays understanding of how job relates to others; Uses resources effectively.
- Judgment – displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions; ability to work with and maintain confidential information.
- Problem solving – Identifies problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Resolves problems in early stages; Works well in group problem solving situations.
- Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Displays commitment to excellence; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Quantity – Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works quickly; Achieves established goals.
- Concentration – Maintains attention to detail over extended period of time; continually aware of variations in changing situations.
- Supervision – ability to perform work independently or with minimal supervision; ability to assign and/or review work; train and/or evaluate other employees.
Education and/or Other Requirements
Must be Registered Nurse licensed in Illinois. Successful completion of a formal nurse practitioner program approved by a national accrediting agency required. Must be certified by a national certified organization recognized by the State Board of Nursing.
This position is performed within an environment of regular exposure to the risk of blood-borne diseases, blood and body fluids. This position is performed within an environment of exposure to infection and contagious diseases.
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of the job the employee is frequently required to stand and walk.
- While performing the duties of this job the employee is required to possess manual dexterity and mobility to meet demands of the job.
- While performing the duties of the job the employee is required to perform repetitive hand motion and good body posture due to extended use of computer systems for patient documentation and other purposes.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and move through an office environment.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be required to work under pressure with multiple interruptions.
- Ability to adhere to strict confidentiality requirements.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to assist an otherwise qualified individual in the performance of the job. In order to meet the needs of the Company employees may be assigned other duties, in addition to or in lieu of those described above.