Under the supervision of the Patient Access Manager, and according to specified procedures, responsible for the efficient and orderly scheduling of patients for hospital services. Collection of patient data needed by the serving department to perform service. Ensure Practitioner ordered services are scheduled as directed by office staff and order/script. Responsible for verifying that the diagnosis provided and the testing ordered meet Medicare’s Local Coverage Decisions (LCD) and National Coverage Decision (NCD), prior to the testing. Ensure data collection for scheduled services meet the requirements defined by the servicing department.
*This is a Full-Time, Day shift position.
- Professionally and courteously interact with the general public, physicians and hospital personnel.
- Receive Physician orders for patient testing and ensures orders comply with Medicare’s Local Coverage (LCD) and National Coverage Decision’s (NCD).
- Obtain patient clinical and demographic data to appropriately provide the medical service identified by the practitioner and to provide the service at the time that best meets the patient schedule.
- Demonstrate a good understanding of the elements involved with the various procedures/exams and provide appropriate instructions to patients for specific testing ordered.
- Receive and interview incoming patients and/or relatives to obtain necessary information for scheduling walk-in testing.
- Coordinate and communicate necessary information to the Registration personnel to facilitate the pre-registration of scheduled patients.
- Communicate scheduling information to effected departments and physicians.
- Maintain computer system master files to optimize system/resource effectiveness.
- Coordinate and assist Financial Representative to ensure pre-certification/pre-authorizations are completed prior to service(s) being rendered.
- Provide excellent customer service to patients, visitors, physicians, hospital staff and co-workers.
- Keep supervisor informed of all potential problems.
- Displays a needs no reminder attitude.
- Ability to multitask and work in high call volume stressful environment.
- Coordinate with hospital staff to ensure patients are scheduled.
- Performs other related work as required or requested.
High school diploma or equivalent required
- Basic understanding of ICD-10 diagnosis codes and CPT-4 coding
Previous medical scheduling experience highly desired
Other Knowledge/Skills/Abilities/Working Conditions-Physical Requirements & Atmosphere:
- Outstanding customer service skills
- Aptitude for detailed and accuracy a must
- Medical terminology
- Modern office environment.
- 80/95% Sedentary in high volume call center, calls are managed by an automated attendant
- Moderate to high stress due to urgency to reduce customer call wait times
- Moderate noise environment.
- May be subject to verbal abuse by patients
- Potential exposed to clinically infectious diseases
Mild amount of walking is involved, both inter- and intra-departmental