Process Safety Engineer
Process Safety Engineer
Ready to drive best-in-class process safety for a global market leader? Join Primient, a leading ingredient manufacturer that is investing in its people, plants, and technologies.
Established yet entrepreneurial: Primient is an industry leader with proven products, six manufacturing plants, 1500+ employees and deep roots in corn wet milling. Yet we’re also a brand-new company that is ready to drive change and create impact.
Inspired by a meaningful purpose: we use renewable sources to produce plant-based ingredients for some of the world’s best-known brands. It feels good to produce safe, high-quality, sustainable products – that go into everything from sodas to hand cream and cardboard to clothing.
Poised for a new era of success: we’re investing in our plants to unlock our potential in the industrial and food sectors. Our Engineers will be key to shaping the safety and reliability of process and people – guided by our values of Safety, Excellence, Integrity, and Growth.
At Primient we don’t compromise on talent. So, if you have the passion for Safety, matches with the skills and experience we are looking for, but working in Decatur would require relocating, then please read on, as Primient offer a full relocation support package, which means you don’t have to compromise either.
Full details are available on request but include a comprehensive package to assist with city visits, moving expenses, and other relocation benefits.
So if you are looking to move your career forward, with a company you are proud to work for and ready to invest in you, then remove relocation as an obstacle, and apply today.
Our Process Safety Engineer role is fundamentally important to Primient plant operations. We list “Safety” first in our values because our greatest priority is caring for our people and the environment. You can make a high-profile impact by realizing new opportunities to enhance our Environmental, Health and Safety processes.
Your development will be enhanced by working alongside expert colleagues in a highly collaborative team environment. You’ll also join our structured development program: the Engineering Ladder. As your skills and experience grow, so will your responsibilities and impact.
Key responsibilities: Process Safety Engineer
- Lead and manage key engineering projects to improve chemical process safety or combustible dust safety.
- Drive process safety culture improvements to reduce impacts to personnel from process hazards (such as flammable liquids, flammable gases, corrosives, hot liquids, high inertia equipment, high pressure equipment, and combustible dusts).
- Develop and maintain a deep understanding of the operating processes on site.
- Conduct, support and coordinate process safety activities such as audits, incident investigations, and training.
- Provide regulatory interpretation and technical support on process safety matters and site projects.
- Coach and mentor employees on their responsibilities with respect to process safety.
We are looking for engineers who strive for excellence and are eager for more responsibility:
- BSc in Chemical Engineering or any related engineering field.
- Minimum of two years engineering experience in a Chemical Process Safety or Combustible Dust setting.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Working knowledge of basic chemical unit operations and Process Safety Management (PSM) systems.
- Experience with Dust Hazard Analysis (DHA) and Process Hazard Analysis (PHA) a plus.
- Deep understanding of codes and standards (e.g., OSHA, NFPA, ASME, API) also a plus.
- Bachelor’s Degree (prefer Chemical or Mechanical Engineering)
Rewards & benefits
Competitive salary with performance linked enhancements / 401 K matching and non-contingent matching plans / Healthcare / Medical insurance
Working with us in Decatur
Our Primient plant is the largest and most complex facility across our network, and has been part of the Decatur community for over 100 years. It has been a hub of innovation and technology and will continue to be a flagship facility for Primient. Today, more than 400 people work at our plant and administration building. We are proud of our strong union relations, our excellent safety record, and our local community outreach and service. Our promising future makes it an exciting place to be.
Relocating to Decatur (or our region)
Located c. 180 miles south of Chicago, Decatur is home to around 70,000 people. Decatur scores well for livability, cost of living and schools – this is a place to enjoy the Midwest lifestyle. Our central location means it’s easy to get to Springfield, Bloomington, and Champaign. Chicago, St Louis and Indianapolis are within a 2.5-3-hour drive.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Belonging
We are passionate believers in the power of difference. We strive to represent the communities in which we operate and to provide an inclusive, welcoming environment for all. We want Primient to be a place where every employee feels they belong and knows they are seen, heard, valued and safe to speak up. Our aspiration is to unlock the full potential in diverse perspectives, while offering everyone an equal chance to grow, thrive and progress.
Primient is an equal opportunity employer, committed to the strength of an inclusive workforce.
California Consumer Privacy Act ("CCPA")
The Company is committed to complying with the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) and all data privacy and laws in the jurisdictions in which it recruits and hires employees. We collect the following categories of personal information for the purpose of hiring the best qualified applicants and to comply with applicable employment laws: Name and contact information; Job preference and work availability; Social Security Number and/or other identification information; Education and qualifications; Employment history and experience; Military service; Reference and background check information, including relevant criminal history and credit history; Social media information; Pre-employment test results; Post-offer medical examination information and results, including drug test results; Voluntary self-disclosure information regarding minority, veteran, and disability status; and Information provided by you during the hiring process.