Senior Process Engineer
Senior Process Engineer
Looking to speed the progress of your engineering career? Join a market a leader in ingredient manufacturing that is investing in people, plant, and technologies.
Established yet entrepreneurial: Primient is an industry leader with proven products, six manufacturing plants, 1500+ employees and deep roots in corn wet milling. Yet we’re also a brand-new company that is ready to drive change and create impact.
Inspired by a meaningful purpose: we use renewable sources to produce plant-based ingredients for some of the world’s best-known brands. It feels good to produce safe, high-quality, sustainable products – that go into everything from sodas to hand cream and cardboard to clothing.
Poised for a new era of success: we’re investing in our plants to unlock our potential in the industrial and food sectors. Our Engineers will be key to leading projects and programs that help us to shape the technical future of our business – guided by our values of Safety, Excellence, Integrity, and Growth.
At Primient we don’t compromise on talent. So, if you have the passion for Safety, matches with the skills and experience we are looking for, but working in Decatur would require relocating, then please read on, as Primient offer a full relocation support package, which means you don’t have to compromise either.
Full details are available on request but include a comprehensive package to assist with city visits, moving expenses, and other relocation benefits.
So if you are looking to move your career forward, with a company you are proud to work for and ready to invest in you, then remove relocation as an obstacle, and apply today.
The Sr. Process Engineer position is responsible for providing technical expertise to ensure the operation produces product that meets all quality, cost, and efficiency requirements. This position will design, develop, and implement continuous process improvements to meet goals established by the business/location, along with providing technical guidance to the plant operations teams to assist with process troubleshooting and developing corrective action plans.
Staff Process Engineer > Process Engineer > Senior Engineer> Principal Engineer > Snr Leadership
Key responsibilities: Sr. Process Engineer
- Entry to this position is based on the appropriate level of experience and professional competence. Advancement beyond this level is dependent upon demonstrated accomplishment, as well as experience and professional competence.
- Designs, develops and implements successful processes. Monitors day-to-day production results. Performs many technical functions, but also provides coordination and direction for other engineers, and maintains close contact with company engineers and production personnel. Reviews and evaluates technical work by others and incorporates related work into unified results.
- Collaborates in preparing engineering proposals and setting goals, and in developing and evaluating findings, draws conclusions and makes recommendations. Prepares engineering reports and informally imparts technical and procedural expertise as requested by other company personnel.
- Carries the process responsibility for large segments of a major project. Develops process and economic estimates based on sometimes-incomplete data. Contributes ideas for safer, less expensive or new techniques whether or not situation is related to a specific project. An engineer at this level should be recognized as an expert in multiple unit operations.
- Is responsible for meeting goals within time and budget constraints. Carries the process responsibilities for large segments of a major project.
- Applies standard engineering theories, concepts and techniques.
- Works on a broad range of troubleshooting problems; uses creative thinking to solve problems and recommend corrective action. Possesses in depth expertise that is recognized and used within the company. Maintains technical skill and knowledge at state-of-the-art level. The Senior Engineer is known at the other plants and is familiar with processes at the other plants; able to recognize differences in the processes and use that knowledge to develop improvements.
- Coordinates efforts of others. Anticipates and resolves priority conflicts. Assists informally without appearing critical. Provide technical supervision and instructions. Works with the development of entry level professionals in procedural as well as technical matters. Ability to manage or mentors less experienced engineers is a must at this level.
- Works with other process engineers, research and production personnel throughout the company. Regularly contacts or visits other manufacturing facilities. Has frequent contact with Sales, Marketing and Accounting and other Administrative functions, suppliers and professional organizations. Works with integrity and upholds the values of the organization.
- Reports to the Technical Manager.
- This position receives limited direction and supervision. Receives direction primarily on administrative matters. Much latitude is given for planning work. Work is accepted as accurate and complete. Free to accept most informal requests for assistance and to engage in innovative or exploratory activities. The Senior Engineer routinely recognizes opportunities for improvement and develops projects to implement the ideas.
We’re looking for engineers who strive for excellence and are eager for more responsibility.
- BSc in Chemical Engineering or any related engineering field.
- Minimum of ten years’ engineering experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Working knowledge of basic chemical unit operations and Process Safety Management (PSM) systems.
It is useful, but certainly not essential, if you have experience in chemical processes or production as well as Corn Wet Milling or Food Manufacturing.
Rewards & benefits
Competitive salary with performance linked enhancements / 401 K matching and non-contingent matching plans / Healthcare / Medical insurance
Working with us in Decatur
Our Primient plant is the largest and most complex facility across our network, and has been part of the Decatur community for over 100 years. It has been a hub of innovation and technology and will continue to be a flagship facility for Primient. Today, more than 400 people work at our plant and administration building. We are proud of our strong union relations, our excellent safety record, and our local community outreach and service. Our promising future makes it an exciting place to be.
Relocating to Decatur (or our region)
Located c. 180 miles south of Chicago, Decatur is home to around 70,000 people. Decatur scores well for livability, cost of living and schools – this is a place to enjoy the Midwest lifestyle. Our central location means it’s easy to get to Springfield, Bloomington, and Champaign. Chicago, St Louis and Indianapolis are within a 2.5-3-hour drive.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Belonging
We are passionate believers in the power of difference. We strive to represent the communities in which we operate and to provide an inclusive, welcoming environment for all. We want Primient to be a place where every employee feels they belong and knows they are seen, heard, valued and safe to speak up. Our aspiration is to unlock the full potential in diverse perspectives, while offering everyone an equal chance to grow, thrive and progress.
Primient is an equal opportunity employer, committed to the strength of an inclusive workforce.
California Consumer Privacy Act ("CCPA")
The Company is committed to complying with the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) and all data privacy and laws in the jurisdictions in which it recruits and hires employees. We collect the following categories of personal information for the purpose of hiring the best qualified applicants and to comply with applicable employment laws: Name and contact information; Job preference and work availability; Social Security Number and/or other identification information; Education and qualifications; Employment history and experience; Military service; Reference and background check information, including relevant criminal history and credit history; Social media information; Pre-employment test results; Post-offer medical examination information and results, including drug test results; Voluntary self-disclosure information regarding minority, veteran, and disability status; and Information provided by you during the hiring process.