Area Manager, Starch
Area Manager, Starch
Starch Area Manager
Join Primient for a more rewarding manufacturing role. From day one, you’ll earn a great wage and full benefits.
Poised for new era of success: our goal is to unlock the full potential of Decatur and our other US locations. The market is strong for our plant-based ingredients, which go into everything from sodas to hand cream and cardboard to clothing. As our business grows, our people will grow.
Established yet entrepreneurial: Primient is an industry leader with proven products, six manufacturing plants, 1500+ employees and deep roots in corn wet milling. Yet we’re also a brand-new company that is ready to drive change and create impact.
Investing in the future of Decatur: We are making an unprecedent investment in our plant and people to create a state-of-the-art facility. It will be a rewarding place for people to work now and for generations to come.
The Area Manager is accountable to the Plant Manager for the production, cost, and quality performance of the unit to meet the business plan. They will work closely with other Area Managers, Quality Manager, Technical Manager, Plant Asset Care Manager, and Finance Manager
This position ensures the organization, planning, direction, and control of process & technical changes/ improvements and technical documentation for a production unit. The position provides the technical expertise to maintain, continuously develop, and improve the process to minimize cost, ensure the technical means for safe operation, high product quality, and guarantee the desired technical plant availability.
- Assure the defined technical availability of the production unit according to the production requirements, with continuous technical improvements, and in conformance to changing requirements in respect to economics, safety, and care for the environment.
- Plan, manage, and organize the engineering and technical support to the area. This support includes maintenance activities, technical changes, project management and technical documentation
- Provide seasoned process, maintenance, and project expertise, which combines mastery of process engineering with in-depth knowledge of the plant requirements. Use mature engineering judgment, creativity and foresight to initiate studies, projects and new developments and to anticipate and solve unprecedented problems with a focus on long-term technical solutions.
- Provide plant specific technical expertise on the application of new process developments, equipment innovations and state-of-the-art maintenance and project techniques, ensuring regulatory compliance of the technical installations, maintenance practices and technical documentation.
- Management and development of shift coordinators and process operators. Provide leadership, guidance, and support their development.
- Develop the area budget and together with the plant manager, the capital investment budget for the area. Expected to be business oriented in his/her work and show a high level of cost awareness and cost responsibility.
- A BS degree in Chemical or Mechanical engineering with at least 10 years of engineering and plant experience is required.
- A track record as a coach, mentor, and developer of talent
- Ability to independently manage the operational aspects of ongoing projects and serves as liaison between project management and project team
- An ability to drive to big picture goals and milestones while valuing and maintaining a strong attention to detail
- An ability to quickly identify and drive to the optimal solution when presented with a series of constraints
- Demonstrated ability in people management, strategic planning, risk management, change management, project management
- Excellent judgment, analytical thinking, and problem-solving skills
- Self-motivated individual that possesses excellent time management and organizational skills
- Strong cross-functional collaboration skills, relationship building skills and ability to achieve results without direct reporting relationships
- Strong oral and written communication skills and the ability to present a polished, professional, and diplomatic image to all stakeholders
- Strong sense of personal responsibility and accountability for delivering high quality work.
Working with us in Decatur
Our Primient plant is the largest and most complex facility across our network, and has been part of the Decatur community for over 100 years. It has been a hub of innovation and technology and will continue to be a flagship facility for Primient. Today, more than 400 people work at our plant and administration building. We are proud of our strong union relations, our excellent safety record, and our local community outreach and service. Our promising future makes it an exciting place to be.
Relocating to Decatur (or our region)
Located c. 180 miles south of Chicago, Decatur is home to around 70,000 people. Decatur scores well for livability, cost of living and schools – this is a place to enjoy the Midwest lifestyle. Our central location means it’s easy to get to Springfield, Bloomington, and Champaign. Chicago, St Louis and Indianapolis are within a 2.5-3-hour drive.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Belonging
We are passionate believers in the power of difference. We strive to represent the communities in which we operate and to provide an inclusive, welcoming environment for all. We want Primient to be a place where every employee feels they belong and knows they are seen, heard, valued and safe to speak up. Our aspiration is to unlock the full potential in diverse perspectives, while offering everyone an equal chance to grow, thrive and progress.
Primient is an equal opportunity employer, committed to the strength of an inclusive workforce.
Successful candidates must also pass a computer test, drug screen, and background check.