Water Production Maintenance Supervisor
City of Decatur, IL
- Job Summary
This position supervises, organizes, plans, schedules, and monitors maintenance and repair of all Water Production facilities, equipment, and grounds including, but not limited to water treatment plants, storage tanks, bulk water and pump stations, telemetry systems, control systems, SCADA systems, Lake Decatur dam and wells.
The City of Decatur is a drug-free workplace. This includes marijuana. Candidates will be subject to a pre-employment drug screen, physical and background check post offer.
- Major Duties
(These are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.)
- Supervises all personnel assigned to electrical, mechanical, instrumentation, repair and maintenance of all Water Production facilities, remote sites, equipment, and grounds including the Lake Decatur dam.
- Analyzes various complex electrical, instrumentation, telemetry systems, control systems, SCADA systems and mechanical problems, and devises solutions or decides course of action to correct the problem.
- Researches and interprets technical manuals, reports, blueprints, and drawings.
- Prioritizes and assigns work orders to subordinate personnel and reviews and inspects completed work of same.
- Prepares specifications for the purchase of materials and services and maintains adequate inventory.
- Prepares specifications for the acquisition of contractor services and manages performance of same.
- Confers and cooperates with Water Production operations staff on maintenance issues.
- Develops and implements work procedures, regulations, and guidelines.
- Ensures overall compliance with safety rules/regulations and trains personnel.
- Ensures the acquisition of all required state and life safety inspections and certifications for Water Production facilities.
- Prepares and maintains various daily, monthly, and annual reports.
- Assists in preparing operating and capital improvement budgets.
- Performs various personnel functions to include evaluations, discipline, counseling, and interviewing.
- Performs duties of subordinate personnel when required.
- Responds to after-hours emergencies when required.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Knowledge & Skills
- Associate degree in any related course of study supplemented by documented training in mechanical, electrical, facilities maintenance, supervision or a related field and progressive experience and responsibility in managing maintenance programs and supervising maintenance personnel or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Thorough knowledge of facilities maintenance operations and equipment testing.
- Knowledge of mechanical systems to include pumps, drivers, gearboxes, shafts, bearings, piping valves, packing, diesel engines, pneumatic and hydraulic systems, and controls.
- Knowledge of electrical systems to include medium-voltage switching gear, transformers, generators, three-phase power, large horsepower motors, motor starters, variable frequency drives and control systems.
- Knowledge of instrumentation and control systems, including PLCs, SCADA, and telemetry systems.
- Ability to read mechanical, electrical, and instrumentation drawings and schematics.
- Considerable knowledge of supervisory methods and procedures.
- Knowledge of safety procedures and preventive/predictive facilities maintenance.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, business enterprise, and maintenance management software.
- Possession of a valid State of Illinois driver’s license.
- Ability to keep accurate records and prepare accurate reports.
- Ability to effectively train and manage subordinate staff working in complex water utility facilities.
- Ability to work in office and industrial environments including outside during inclement weather.
- Supplemental Information
Employees shall reside within the corporate limits of Macon County or within the corporate limits of any municipality extending into Macon County. Upon original appointment, such appointees may reside outside said limits but shall be required as a condition of continued employment to comply with said residency requirement within 12 months.Apply
Complete an application at the link below with all requested relevant information. Incomplete applications will be rejected. Downloading your resume prefills some sections of the application.