Customer Payment Specialist
City of Decatur, IL
- Job Summary
Salary will increase to $23.09 hourly after successfully completing a six-month evaluation.
The Civil Service Commission of the City of Decatur will conduct an examination and establish an eligible register for the above classification. Persons passing all phases of the selection process will be placed on a Civil Service eligible register which will be used for a period of two years or until exhausted. Selection of candidates will be made according to the Civil Service laws for cities as modified by the City Code of the City of Decatur, Illinois. There is currently one opening in the Finance Department.
NATURE OF WORK
The Customer Payment Specialist performs transactional duties related to the collection and recording of payments to the City in multiple computer systems. This position is responsible for providing effective customer service guidance to citizens. The position is also responsible for the balancing of cash totals at the end of each business day. Additional duties include the posting and maintenance of payments and related records and receipts, and handling complaints and questions regarding municipal services.
Transactional work is performed with limited supervision. Supervision assistance may be received when dealing with difficult situations. Daily transaction results are reviewed by cash management team during bank deposit process.
The City of Decatur is a drug-free workplace which includes marijuana. Candidates will be subject to a pre-employment drug screen, physical, and background check post offer.
- Major Duties
EXAMPLES OF WORK (typical work examples, but not limited to the following):
- Receives and records payments for utility bills, parking tickets, pet registrations, ordinance violations, license fees, building permits, municipal taxes, administrative court, boats and piers, and other miscellaneous payments to the City; makes change and issues receipts; opens and sorts night deposit box; opens and sorts mail.
- Performs daily analysis and processing of payments made online, over the phone, or at an authorized payment location; reviews said payments for accuracy and ensures they are posted correctly to accounts; locates account overpayments and routes to utility customer service team.
- Provides effective customer service guidance to citizens via direct contact, telephone assistance, and other means of communication. Directs citizens to different departments for additional assistance if necessary.
- Maintains cash drawer in accordance with City policy and balances cash collection receipts at the end of each business day; provides daily reconciliation and deposits to cash management staff responsible for deposit to banking institutions.
- Receives daily list of all incoming wire and ACH payments from cash management team and accurately records in the general ledger.
- Receives and processes parking ticket appeals; advises citizens of the status and/or judgement of their parking ticket(s); receives and routes pet registration citations to the licensing section.
- Receives pet vaccination records and payments from local veterinarian offices; updates pet tracking system with vaccination and registration information; processes registration payments in cash drawer.
- Performs back-up support to other higher classification finance positions as required.
- Performs related work and other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge & Skills
- Skill in communicating clearly and effectively, both orally and in written form.
- Possess strong analytical and problem-solving skills with ability to make well-thought-out decisions with little or no supervision.
- Ability to work with customers during challenging customer service situations.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Experience with Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) software applications with demonstrated knowledge of same.
- Ability to pass a numeric data-entry test (10-key) with a minimum score of 7000 keystrokes per hour with at least 95% accuracy.
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
A high school diploma or equivalent is required. Experience in customer service operations is required. Experience in cash handling or payment processing is required. Associate's degree or post-secondary education preferred but not required.
- Supplemental Information
- Numeric Data Entry (10-Key) Test: All applicants must take a numeric data entry test. A data entry speed of at least 7000 keystrokes per hour with at least 95% accuracy is required for this position. The data entry test will be graded on a pass-fail basis.
- Written Examination:. All applicants must take a written examination. The passing criteria for the written examination is 70.00%.
- Oral Interview: All applicants passing the written test must pass an oral interview with a score of at least 70.00%.
- Veteran Points: Applicants who pass the written test and oral interview may be eligible to receive 5.00 veteran preference points added to their final examination score.
- Seniority Points: Applicable persons who receive a score of 70.00% or more will receive 0.50 seniority preference points for each full year of continuous service to a maximum of 10.0 points added to their final examination score.
- Physical Examination: Applicants placed on the eligible register must pass a physical examination which includes a drug screen by a physician of the Commission's choice immediately prior to appointment.
Persons appointed to the position of Customer Payment Specialist will serve a probationary period of six months.
The Customer Payment Specialist position is covered under the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME) collective bargaining agreement. AFSCME employees appointed in the classified services shall reside within the corporate limits of Macon County, or within the corporate limits of any municipality extending into Macon County. Upon original appointment, an appointee may reside outside said limits but shall be required as a condition of continued employment to comply with said residency requirement no later than ninety (90) days after the completion of said appointee's probationary period.
Complete an application at the link below with all requested relevant information. Incomplete applications will be rejected. Downloading your resume prefills some sections of the application.